Monday, May 3, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

No, this post isn't about environmental friendliness. In the last two weeks I gave presentations that I "recycled" from last year, both of which went pretty well once again. Since I used them both last year and they both went well, I allowed myself to be lazy and only made a few minor changes from the old slides. As a result, I can say that they both went well, though not exceptionally so. As is often the case, many of the students checked out early and quietly ignored me for both talks, but I did feel like there were a good number of students who stayed with me and as a result learned a few things.

Last week's talk was about the angles that are important when steering a car. I started out by showing a video that had a Corvette driving along a curvy road before spinning out because of driving too fast and taking the curve too hard. So I posed the question: why do cars spin out? Most of the answers revolved around poor driving or poor car maintenance, so I pushed them to continue brainstorming and come up with the more specific cause: the tires of the car slip against the surface of the road. So then I asked the students whether the wheels of the car turn at the same angle as the steering wheel, and usually got a resounding "no", which is good. Power steering makes it so that we can turn the steering wheel almost a full turn while the wheels only rotate 20 or 30 degrees. Next I asked whether both front wheels turn at the same angle, and most people thought the answer was yes. I spent the next couple of slides showing them why the tires should turn at different angles - the inside wheel (with respect to the turn) needs to turn a little bit steeper because it's revolving around a tighter turning radius than the outside wheel. We then talked briefly about handling and how at high speeds, the tires of a car slip on the road, and if there is too much weight in the back of the car, that might cause spinning out to occur more easily. This was a fairly quick talk (less than 15 minutes), and I did get the impression that the students were engaged and many of them learned a few things or at least will think a bit differently next time they are in a car.

This week I talked about flight. I started out with a cool, somewhat funny video that showed some early attempts at flying and mostly how some elaborate machines broke down after they started moving. We then talked about some of the reasons that we fly (we can go really fast, avoid obstacles, it's safe, it gives the military more options), and then we went through the three main types of aircraft that we see: blimps, airplanes, and helicopters. With blimps, we fill it with a gas that is lighter than air (I showed a periodic table to illustrate what gases are lighter than air), and heat it up or cool it down to make it lift or lower the weight in the cabin. With airplanes, there are a lot of complex forces going on, but the important force is lift, which is controlled by the speed of the aircraft along with the angle that the wings hit the air. I spent a little bit of time discussing those angles, but tried not to talk too long for fear of losing students. I ended by briefly discussing how helicopters work, and how the speed and the angles of the main rotor affect the lift of the vehicle. I think on the whole it was valuable and I think that some of the students gained some higher understanding of the challenges and current methods in flying work.

No comments: